From the Director's Desk:
The year 2014 has been extraordinarily busy for the Institute with the sponsored M.Tech programme for 30 Samsung employees taking off in January, PGDSD programme for 30 Myanmar students taking off in May and M.Tech in ESD programme for 19 students taking off in August.
The new hostel block with 600 rooms is nearing completion and is expected to be ready for occupancy by March 2015.
December also saw IIITB hosting a special induction programme for employees of LOWE’S India Incorporation, and e-Yantra Lab Setup initiative (eLSI) of IIT Bombay e-Yantra, an MHRD sponsored project under NMEICT at IIT Bombay conducted at IIITB on December 8, 2014.
As 2014 winds down and we herald the arrival of the year 2015, let me wish each and every member of the IIITB family a professionally fulfilling, personally enriching and VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!
- LOWE’S India Induction Programme was held during December 1 – 31.
- Domain orientation for iM.Tech. batch of 2017 was held on December 3.
- e-Yantra Lab Setup initiative (eLSI) of IIT Bombay, an MHRD sponsored project under NMEICT at IIT Bombay, was conducted at the Institute on December 8.
- 43rd Senate Meeting was held on December 10.
- The internship placement process for M.Tech. Class-of-2015 of 137 students, which started on July 30, was completed by December 10. Internship period for Semester-4 for the class is December 15, 2014 - June 15, 2015. While 8 students have opted for thesis and student exchange programmes, the industrial internship placement statistics is as follows: 37% of the class has been placed in multi-national companies, 28% in the IT industry, 16% in startups, and 13% in R&D labs.
Two students joined the Ph.D. programme on December 31.
Faculty & Staff
- Prof. V. Sridhar has received funding of INR 4,88,750/- (to be shared with Prof. Rohit Prasad, Management Development Institute) for the study on “A techno-economic study of Spectrum of the Commons and associated policy implications” from the Indian Institute of Management Idea Telecom Centre of Excellence.
- A paper titled "The Politics of Anti-Poverty Artefacts: Lessons from Computerization of the Food Security System in Karnataka" by Silvia Masiero and Prof. Amit Prakash has been accepted for presentation at the 7th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Development to be held at Singapore during May 15-18, 2015.
- The project titled "Study the temporal spectral occupancy patterns and interference potential for a TV White Space (TVWS) communication system for White-Fi" sponsored by Microsoft, has been approved. Prof. Jyotsna Bapat is the Principal Investigator of the project.
- Vishnu Priya presented her paper titled “Bad Data Detection in Smart Grid for AC Model” on Smart Grids, co-authored by Prof. Jyotsna Bapat, at the 11th Annual IEEE Conference India, Indicon-2014 on December 12 at Yashada University, Pune, in the Information and Network Security track.
- Prof. Srinivasa Raghavan gave an invited talk on "Recent Advances in Clustering Theory" at the "International Workshop on Computer Vision and Machine Learning - 2014" held on December 12 at Sri Sathya Sai Institute for Higher Learning, Puttaparthi.
Prof. Srinivasa Raghavan gave an invited talk on "Machine Learning - Opportunities and Imperatives for ICICI Bank” to the analytics group at ICICI Bank and a few of their business heads (General Managers along with the CIO) on December 18 at the ICICI Bank Headquarters in Mumbai.
- Beena Kumari and Avijit Kumar Ashe presented their paper titled, “Remote Interactive Visualization of Parallel Implementation of Structural Feature Extraction of Three-dimensional Lidar Point Cloud”, co-authored by Jaya Sreevalsan-Nair, and demonstrated the software, at the 3rd International Conference on Big Data Analytics, in the Systems Demonstration track, on December 23.
- Cadence conducted a 2-day training on Cadence VLSI design tools during November 7- 8 covering their analog/MS flow and digital flow. Both digital design front-end and back-end (layout) aspects were covered. The training was attended by about 25 participants of students from M.Tech. (ESD) and iM.Tech. programmes, staff and faculty.
- Neha Oraon (PH2013008) presented her paper titled “Study of solder based self assembled 3D micro scale structures via surface evolver”, co-authored by Prof. Madhav Rao, in the 2nd IEEE International Conference on Emerging Electronics "Materials to Devices" 2014, held in the CENSE department at IISc, on December 4. .
- Rahul R. (MT2013119) presented his paper titled "An open source graphical robot programming environment” co-authored by Ashwin Whitchurch and Prof. Madhav Rao at the 2nd IEEE International Conference on MOOC's, Innovation and Technology in Education, held at Patiala, Punjab during December 19-20.
- Dipanjan Sarkar (MT2012043) has reviewed a book titled "Learning R for Geospatial Analysis" for Packt Publishing as a Technical Reviewer which published on December 27.
- December 2: “ESDM scene in India” by Mr. Vidyashankar, Former Additional Chief Secretary to the Government of Karnataka, currently President of the India Electronics and Semiconductor Association (IESA).
- December 3: Presentation by technical team from Dreamworks
- December 5: "Body-touching: An Embodied Interaction Technique for Health&Information Systems in Developing Regions” by Prof. Markku Turunen, who is the head of the Pervasive Interaction research group, at Tampere Unit for Computer Human Interaction (TAUCHI), University of Tampere.
- December 18: "Essence-Based, Goal-Driven Adaptive Software Engineering" by Prof. June Sung Park, who is a faculty member at the Industrial and Systems Engineering / Computer Science, in Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) and is currently Chairman, Software Engineering Method And Theory (SEMAT).
- December 5: A Russian Delegation consisting of Senior Journalists/News Editors/Columnists/Reporters from Life News (Russian Analogue of Sky News), Argument and Fact, REN TV, Evening Ekaterinburg, Rossiyskaya Gazeta, Nezavisimaya Gazeta, Rossiya Segodnya, Voice of Russia, Komsomolskaya Pravda, Kommersant in Nzhny Novgorod and Kazanskie Vedomosti.
- December 10: Dr. Raja Dasgupta, Oracle University.
- December 17: Prof. Moller, Computer Engineering, Modeling & Simulation, Clausthal University and Mrs. Romanowski, Director International Office, Clausthal University.
- December 22: Dr. Maulishree, Officer, KBITS Govt. of Karnataka.
- December 30: Mr. Raghu Panicker, Mentographics India, Director.
- December 31: Mr. Chellappan (Director, HP Cloud Div) and Mr. R. Bala Subramanian
(HP India Cloud BU).