From the Director's Desk:
September 15 is special for IIITB. It was on that day, 16 years ago, IIITB operations started with the first class being taught at 9 am, at the I Floor of Innovator Tower at ITPL in Whitefield. We have been celebrating that day (which is also Engineers Day in India) as Foundation Day. This year, on September 15, we celebrated our 16th Foundation Day with three Guests of Honor. The celebrations were held in the new extension of our campus. You will find more details in this edition of Newsletter.
September 15 was once again very special, as we launched our EHRC (E-Health Research Center) - an interdisciplinary Research Center that spreads across all areas of research interest in the Institute. As part of the launch, we had a high profile panel discussion where we had leading academics (from Narayana Health, NIMHANS and Rajiv Gandhi Medical University / Bangalore Medical College), health administrators and policy planners as well as senior managers from global healthcare companies (GE, Philips, Siemens, EMC) represented. You will find more details in this edition.
- The Sports and Adventures Club at Symbiosis School of Media and Communication, Bengaluru, organized annual Intercollegiate Sports Tournament, Origins Cup during August 31-September 12 at Symbiosis Campus. About 15 colleges in and around Electronic City were invited for the tournament. Our students have participated in the tournament and won medals in following games.
1st Prize: Akhil G. (IMT2012015)
2nd Prize: Rishabh Manoj (IMT2013035)
Basketball (Men) 2nd Prize
Umang Luhadia (DT2015008), Ashish Jain (DT2015002), Suraj Singh (IMT2015041), Lakshay Jindal (IMT2014029), Kumaresh Krishnan (IMT2013021), Karthik Bharadwaj (IMT2012021), Shiva Ashish Thumparthy (IMT2013041)
- 17th Annual General Body meeting of the IIITB was held on September 1.
- 60th Meeting of the Governing Body was held on September 1.
- Students celebrated fresher’s night on September 1. The evening was started with performances by various enthusiastic 2015 batch students. This was followed by dinner. The highlight of the evening was the DJ night.
- On behalf of SPICMACAY Bangalore chapter IIITB hosted Carnatic Flute progamme by Grammy Nominee artist Shashank Subramanyam accompanied by H M Smitha on Violin and K U Jayachandra Rao on Mridangam on September 2.
- On September 5, IIITB celebrated Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan’s birthday as Teachers’ day, and for this year, the day was also celebrated as a Blood Donation Day. In coordination with Members of TTK Blood bank, Bangalore, organized a blood donation camp on campus. The camp began with a presentation on blood and stem cell donation by TTK Blood bank doctors and members. Students, faculty and staff enthusiastically participated in the blood donation camp. In the presence of doctors and trained attendants a total participation of 82 blood donors and 45 stem cell registries were noted, making it a successful camp.
- IIITB formally celebrated Teachers’ Day on September 7, the first weekday after September 5. Prof S. Sadagopan, the Director, inaugurated the event with lighting of the lamp. This was followed by a song by Satwik Bhamidi and Aneesha Devulapally, which was dedicated by the students to the faculty and staff. The third issue of “8 bit”, a student run magazine was also launched on this day.
- The E-Health Research Center was launched on September 15 at IIITB. Amongst the invited guests who attended the event for the launch, there were several eminent experts in the area of healthcare, from government, industry, medical schools and practitioners. The Center is an outcome of the research initiative at IIITB, to do applied research in the use of Information & Communication Technologies (ICTs) to meet the healthcare needs of the under-served and marginal population groups in India and similar regions across the world.
The goal for this center is to work passionately towards enabling leveraging information & communications technology to expand the reach and quality of healthcare in India. At the event, the Dean (Academics and R&D), Prof. Debabrata Das talked of the research capabilities of faculty, students, and innovation center at IIITB; Prof. T. K. Srikanth spoke of the vision and research objectives of the center; followed by a lively panel discussion by experts moderated by Prof. S. Sadagopan, the Director; and vote of thanks and the way ahead for EHRC by Prof. Amit Prakash. The panelists for the discussion on " Information Technology and healthcare needs of an emerging India: framing a research agenda for e-Health" were:
Dr. P. Satishchandra, Director of NIMHANS, Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty, Chairman of Narayana Health & a renowned cardiologist; Dr. E. V. Ramana Reddy, Principal Secretary at Department of Personnel and Administrative Reforms; Dr. T. Rajeshwari, Consultant with Quality Networking of Professional Education at Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS); Dr. Niranjan Thirumale, the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of the EMC India Center of Excellence (COE); Mr. Sivan Menon, CTO Software, India, GE Healthcare and Dr. Nirmala Murthy, Mentor / Advisor at Foundation for Research in Health System (FRHS).
The takeaway from the panel discussion was that the area of healthcare for applied research in ICTs is fertile, the time for such an initiative is ripe, and the problems that EHRC has identified to work on, currently, are relevant. Several of the guests were happy to extend support to EHRC. http://ehrc.iiitb.ac.in has further details on the Center, whose roadmap is being created by the E-Health Committee, consisting of Profs. Amit Prakash, Bidisha Chaudhari, J. Dinesh Babu, Meenakshi D'Souza, and T. K. Srikanth, and chaired by Prof. Jaya Sreevalsan Nair.
Photos of the event are at: https://goo.gl/photos/7kwtwizwVHcjD8jo7
- 16th Foundation Day was celebrated on September 15. The Guests of Honour for the event were: Mr. K. Dinesh, Infosys Co-Founder, Infosys Technologies Ltd; Dr. Rajeshwari, Director, Quality Networking of Profession education RGUHS; Ms. Supriti, Vice Chairperson, SPIC MACAY. The celebration included the Director's welcome speech, speeches by the Guests of Honour, cake cutting, a cultural programme and dinner.
16th Foundation day photos
16th Foundation day
16th Foundation day - Dr. Rajeshwari, Director, Quality Networking of Profession education, RGUHS
16th Foundation day - Ms. Supriti, Vice Chairperson, SPIC MACAY
16th Foundation day - Mr. K. Dinesh, Infosys Co-Founder, Infosys Technologies Ltd
- Special Tarining Programme students Celebrated Ethnic day on September 16.
- Ganesh Chathurthi was celebrated on campus during September 17-19. On Ganesha Chathurthi, an idol of Lord Ganesha was kept in the academic block under a canopy which was beautifully decorated with flowers and streamers. Students religiously performed the traditional puja twice a day for three consecutive days. On the third day, Ganesh Visarjan was done.
- The Board meeting of IIITB Innovation Center was held on September 25.
- The Web Science India Endowment was launched on September 30, which was a follow up event of the Web Observatory Launch held during February 17-18, 2015. In close cooperation with the Web Science Trust (WST), the Web Science India Endowment (WSIE) was launched, to promote Web Science in India. WSIE has members from the WST on its advisory council. WSIE views Web Science as a social good and literacy and awareness of the web as an essential skill of the new emerging century. Some of the proposed activities of WSIE include the following:
1) Support for Web Science research: Articulating a research agenda for the broader scientific community in the form of an annual regional conference
2) Teaching and curriculum development: Coordinating the development of Web Science educational material and curricula
Student travel grants for Web Science conferences
3) Capital and infrastructural support for Web Observatory India
4) Summer schools and other training activities in the area of Web Science
At the event, the Dean (Academics and R&D), Prof. Debabrata Das talked of the research capabilities of faculty, students, and innovation center at IIITB; Prof. Srinath Srinivasa spoke of the vision and objectives of the endowment; Prof. Dame Wendy Hall spoke about Observatories and data analytics for Web Science Research; followed by a lively panel discussion by experts moderated by Prof. Srinath Srinivasa. The panelists for the discussion on “The Future of the Web in India” were: Prof. Dame Wendy Hall, Professor of Computer Science at the University of Southampton, UK; Mr. Rajiv Kuchhal, Obopay (Mobile Money Space); Mr. Amitava Ghosh, Vice President – Engineering, Snapdeal; Dr. Srikanth Sundararajan, Venture Partner, Helion Advisors Pvt. Ltd; Mr. Monish Das, EdgeVerve; Mr. Nitin Tailor, HMP Foundation, Bharuch,Gujarat and Prof. V. Sridhar, IIITB.
For photos: https://goo.gl/photos/JVz3EPKxSb9pV7tF6
For details: http://wsie.iiitb.ac.in:4040
- The E-Health Research Center (EHRC) at IIITB, in collaboration with UNICEF, Centre for Budget and Policy Studies (CBPS) and HealthMinds Consulting, organised a Consultative Workshop on National Urban Health Mission (NUHM) in Karnataka on September 30 at the Institute of Hotel Management, Bangalore. Prof. T. K. Srikanth addressed the session on the issue of ‘Information Technology and Healthcare’. The inaugural address was delivered by Shri. U.T. Khader (Honourable Health Minister, Government of Karnataka). This was followed by sessions on ‘Health and Health Care Issues in Urban Areas’ and ‘Healthcare Priorities for Urban Areas’ chaired by Mr. J.V.R. Prasada Rao (Former Health Secretary, Government of India and presently UN Secretary General’s Special Envoy for AIDS Asia & the Pacific) and Mr. Keshav Desiraju Former Health Secretary, Government of India) respectively. The final session was a panel discussion with panellists from the development sector, government and industry. The Workshop was attended by representatives of civil society organisations, practitioners of medicine, government, industry and academia.
- The IIITB Library has recently subscribed to Knimbus Remote Access facility on a trial basis.
Knimbus Remote Access Facility a is cloud based e-Library, a single point access that helps users access all the e-resources available through the library on any device from anywhere, anytime and also has a huge collection of open access journals, free e-Books, and other multimedia content.
It is not only a single window access to millions of papers, e-books, learning videos, presentations and news which keeps you updated with what’s latest in one’s field of study, but also one can store and organize the e-content securely and acts as a collaborative platform that enables oneself to get connected to peers, build professional network.
Publications, including Presentations
- Gopika Gopan K. (PH2014003) has presented her paper titled “EEG Signal Classification in Non-Linear Framework with Filtered Training Data", which she co-authored with Prof. Neelam Sinha and Prof. Dinesh Babu J., at European Conference on Signal Processing (EUSIPCO), 2015 held at Nice, France during August 31-September 4. She has also participated in the 3-minute thesis presentation competition finale at the same conference, where she presented her thesis work on "Generalized EEG Classification Framework".
- Anusha Modwal (MT2013024) and Prof. Shrisha Rao. “Agent-Based Modelling of Biofilm Formation and Inhibition in Escherichia Coli”. Current Science, vol. 109 (5), September 2015. doi:10.18520/v109/i5/930-937.
- A paper titled “Does Computerization Reduce PDS Leakage? A Case Study of Karnataka” by Silvia Masiero and Amit Prakash has been accepted for publication in the Economics and Political Weekly Journal.
The article titled “Eat, Pray, Acquire” by Prof. V. Sridhar has appeared in Economic Times on September 21.
- The article titled “Be free of call drops tune in to FM radio” by Prof. V. Sridhar has appeared in Business Line on September 24.
IIITB in Media
Mphasis and IIIT- B partner to support incubation of social enterprises
StartupXseed Launches Aaruha Technology Fund
Express IT's award season, and the jury is in
Mphasis and IIIT- B partner to support incubation of social enterprises
A hotbed of innovation
Expert Group on tackling Cyber Crime submitted its report Union ...
Expert Group on tackling Cyber Crime submits report to Ministry of ...
Bengaluru To Host Business Literature Festival
Bengaluru's first business literature festival to take off September 26th
Focus on 'digital' economy, Nasscom urges industry
'The startup revolution offers enormous opportunity to tell
Faculty & Staff
- Prof. V. Sridhar was one of the panelist in the workshop on “Last mile access to NOFN” organized by IT for Change, New Delhi, September 5.
- Prof. Shrisha Rao delivered an invited talk on "Providing Dependable Services in a Resource-Constrained World" at the GARUDA – NKN Partners Meet jointly organized by C-DAC & NKN at the NIAS Auditorium, IISc campus, Bangalore, on September 11.
- Prof. Chetan Parikh presented an invited talk titled "Future Directions in Analog VLSI Design" at the Workshop on Advances in VLSI System Design and Technology, CSP Institute of Technology, Changa, Gujarat, on September 19.
- Balaji Parthasarathy presented the paper "Negotiating the antinomies of regional branching with intermediaries: Providing a “spatial fix” to innovation in new media industries" at the 13th International GLOBELICS (Global Network for Economics of Learning, Innovation, and Competence Building Systems) Conference held in Havana, Cuba, during September 23-25. The paper was co-authored with Mandar Kulkarni.
Students & Alumni
- Sunil Kumar Vuppala (PH2009902) presented a guest talk on "Optimization of Smart Energy Management in Smart Grid" at CS department of IIT Bombay on September 1.
- September 23: Parthiban A (MS2013012)Thesis oral examination (MS by Research)
- September 2: “Affect Recognition of Groups of People in Images” by Dr. Abhinav Dhall, Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Canberra and adjunct research fellow, Australian National University (ANU).
- September 3: "Design of electronic voting machines (EVMs) for the Indian elections" by Captain S. Prabhala, Former Chairman and Managing Director, Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL).
- September 14: “Wireless Sensor Networks: Security, Protocols and Countermeasures” by Prof. Rakesh Mohan Verma, Professor and Director, REMIND Lab, University of Houston, and Distinguished ACM Speaker.
- September 18: "Ranking verification counterexamples: An invariant guided approach" by Prof. Ansuman Banerjee, ISI Kolkata.
- September 23: “A Geometric Approach to Graph Isomorphism” by Mr. Pawan Kumar Aurora, Ph.D. candidate in the department of Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur.
- September 30:” Topological Simplification of Multivariate Data” by Dr. Amit Chattopadhyay, Research Associate, IISc Bangalore.
- September 1: Ms. Neethi Mathur, SocGen.
- September 4: 52 students from Acharya Institute of Management & Sciences, Bangalore (AIMS)
- September 8: Mr. Vinod P. Deshmukh, InnovationHub Technologies.
- September 24: Mr. Amit Naithani & Mr. Vincent Lim, General Manager, Public Sector, Asia Pacific and Japan HP India.
- September 29: Mr. Kristoffer Brix Bertelsen, Counsellor – Innovation & Research, Embassy of Denmark and Ms. Twinkle Jawrani, Consultant – Innovation Centre Denmark, Embassy of Denmark.
- October 9: Talk by Dr. Manish Gupta is Vice President at Xerox Corporation and Director of Xerox Research Centre in India.
- October 12-17: Mid-Term exam
- October 14: 48th Senate Meeting.
- October 18-25: Mid-Term break.
- October 19: Last date for submitting applications for Ph.D. program in January 2016.